Tuesday, November 26, 2013

I should not have to choose!!!

I like choice, I like being able to make my own decisions.  Should I wear the blue shirt or the grey one?  Should we have chicken or fish for dinner.  Should I run the vacuum before or after lunch.  I like choice.

I don't like when I have to choose between buying my kids medicine and my insulin.

That is exactly what landed me in the hospital the past few days.  Our prescription coverage changed at the start of this calendar year and I could no longer afford my insulin.  I was able to keep getting the pills I was taking so with that and a super strict diet I had been doing well...until this past Sunday.

I woke up with what I thought was the flu.  Sore throat, aches, fever, just feeling down right miserable.  Then I started vomiting.  And was still vomiting more than four hours later.  Geek finally talked me into going to the ER.  Good thing I did.

I was suffering from diabetic ketoacidosis.  Nasty little thing...and very serious.

I'm doing better now, in fact I'm typing this from my hospital room.  I should be going home tomorrow.

Why are medications that are necessary for people to LIVE so freaking expensive???  It's not like I'm taking this so I can get an erection (seriously, I could do a whole post on this sentence alone!)

No comments: